Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Starting the Ketogenic Diet

Why I've Started the Keto Diet

I've been struggling with reducing my body fat for the past couple years. I've counted calories, macro nutrients, cut out simple carbs, attempted to become vegetarian. They all worked to some extent but I found myself binge eating at the end of the week and not really making progress and feeling really bad.

Now I know people preach about anti-dieting. Working out hard enough to be able to eat anything you want. Like most people I simply don't have that kind of time. Athletes and gym rats can do it all they want. Normal people, like me, don't have the entire day to spend at the gym. What you eat is going to make a huge difference.

Diets are Hard

Diet is a four letter word these days. People don't like the fact that other people are dieting. I can see why. Most of the people you know that are on diets are insanely fit, or morbidly obese. People hate hearing that these fit people are on a diet. "Why does he even need to diet? He's so fit!" or "He's going to fall off the wagon again."

There's a lot of negativity when it comes to dieting, but dieting isn't a bad thing. It's a lot like communism. People think it's bad because of propaganda, but the concept of communism itself isn't bad. Diets get a bad reputation because they are hard to do. 

Why Keto?

Like most other people I've been on many different diets. Many of them ended up making me weaker and hungrier than ever. Some made me stronger but I ended up gaining fat instead of losing it. I've experimented with my diet more than anyone I know. It's not saying much though since I'm the only one I know that experiments with my diet.

I've come to understand a few things. I hate being hungry, and I hate being unproductive.

Most of you that read this will probably already know what ketogenic diets are. I won't bore you but here's the basics for those of you that don't know.

The calories in the diet should come mostly from fat. At least 60% and upwards to 80% should be fats. 5% or less should be carbohydrates. In other words you won't be eating carbs.
The idea is that you get your brain running on ketones which are produced when you starve yourself of glucose and have an abundance of fats in your system. I don't know the complete science behind it, but I know enough to risk trying the diet at least.

So what is this blog about exactly?

This blog is a journal of sorts for me to log the effects of the ketogenic diet on my body and mind. So far I've been on the diet for 4 days and I've feeling better than ever. We'll see what longer terms do to me though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment